Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s Humane Educators provide critical education on the plight of farmed animals and the importance of vegan lifestyles to thousands of visitors every year. This part-time, seasonal position allows individuals to develop extensive skills and experience in advocating for other beings. An incredible opportunity for the animal advocate in you, the Humane Educator role provides a chance to raise your voice and make a difference in the lives of both humans and nonhuman rescued animals and to advance critical social change for farmed animals.
- Complete a comprehensive training program which includes both on-site activities and independent study.
- Conduct 90-minute public tours on weekends from April through November, guiding groups of up to 30 people around the sanctuary (outdoors).
- Attend monthly Tours meetings, which may be scheduled on weekends or weekday evenings.
- Read weekly updates and news related to tours throughout the season.
- Incorporate new developments into tours as they occur (e.g. updates to content and weekly updates).
- Participate in feedback surveys to help us continuously improve the Humane Educator experience.
- Humane Educators may also receive additional opportunities to lead weekday and off-season tours, work in the Sanctuary’s Welcome Hut, and assist with humane education outside beyond leading tours of the Sanctuary.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Knowledgeable about farmed animal issues and vegan living
- Commitment to Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission and living a vegan lifestyle
- Regularly available to work on weekends
- Hard-working and dependable
- Comfortable speaking with groups and able to maintain a strong presentation style
- Able to efficiently learn and master new material
- Resourceful and able to work independently
- Creative and flexible with the ability to meet people where they are
- Able to attend several weekend training sessions at the sanctuary in advance of the open season and to be available for monthly Tours team meetings
- Able to accept and incorporate constructive feedback
- Openness to learning and trying new strategies
- Humane Education experience is desirable but not required
- Experience working with large animals is desirable but not required
- Part-time, on-site
- Outdoors, in a wide range of weather conditions
- Seasonal – regular weekends April-November, occasional work opportunities on weekends December-March and on weekdays year round
- Candidates available consistently on weekend days will be considered.
- Position requires regular weekend and some holiday hours.
- Pay rate: $13.00/hour for new Educators. Rate raises to $14.00/hour after 1 year.
- Housing is not available for this position.
- Estimated hours per weekend; 4-8 hours. Some additional hours are occasionally available for Humane Educators who can conduct tours on weekdays.
HOW TO APPLY
To Apply: Complete the form below or email Kaden Maguire at email@example.com. No calls, please. Applications must include:
- Cover letter clearly stating: your qualifications for this position, why you wish to be a Humane Educator, and what you feel you can contribute to this vital education program
- Your Resume
- Three references, with email and phone number listed
Catskill Animal Sanctuary is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.