SENIOR ANIMAL CAREGIVER
Love farm animals?
Animal Care team members at Catskill Animal Sanctuary provide all the fundamental care required to ensure the physical and emotional health of our animals. As a senior-level animal caregiver, your responsibilities will include providing medications under the supervision of a Healthcare Manager, training of junior-level staff, special projects and independent execution of daily tasks. Senior Animal Caregivers may also develop deep concentrations in farm animal species and lead in the enrichment and care of those animals. This position is fast-paced and physically demanding. Successful candidates will be accustomed to and thrive in such a work environment.
The responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the exceptional care, both physical and psychological, of each resident
- Clean stalls, barns, enclosures and bird coops
- Complete feed runs and monitor water levels
- Administer medications and treatments
- Participate in animal enrichment activities
- Work in conjunction with health and animal care management to make decisions about end-of-life care and euthanasia
- Perform healthcare checks
- Monitor animals’ health
- Onboard and guide of junior-level staff
- Participate in veterinarian visits on and offsite
- Accurate and up-to-date data entry and record keeping of animal moves, concerns and enrichment
- Maintain first aid kit: order, restock, monitor
- Participating in staff and management meetings as needed
- Identify maintenance issues as they arise
- A passion for the CAS mission and personal commitment to veganism
- The desire to be part of a team dedicated to building best practices across the entire organization
- The emotional maturity to model a friendly, positive tone with staff, volunteers, visitors and other professionals at all times–in other words, to live our “lead with love” ethos.
- Extensive farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, sheep, horses, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners in accordance with our Code of Conduct
- Experience dealing with animal emergency situations
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed & open environments in all weather conditions through the year
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Ability to lift 50 – 75 lbs. repeatedly
- Willingness to work weekends, evenings and holidays
Please have a thorough understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full-time position located primarily at either our location on Old Stage Road or Route 32. Starting salary is $17-18/hour. Will have a 90-day probationary period. Benefits include paid vacations and healthcare coverage.
Candidates must be available to be added to the schedule and commute to work within four weeks of offer. Must be available for a paid working interview of up to two days onsite within 2 weeks of phone interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
HOW TO APPLY:
To Apply: Complete the form below or email cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
Catskill Animal Sanctuary is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.