AVIAN HEALTH CARE SPECIALIST
The Health Care Specialist (HCS) works under the Health Care Manager (HCM). The HCS’s primary responsibility is to attend to the physical and emotional well being of all Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s residents. Other responsibilities are to: maintain and update medical records and to perform health procedures (i.e. wound care, administering medications etc.) as needed, as well as basic health care (i.e. hoof, tusk and nail trims, sheath cleaning, etc). Additionally, the HCS is responsible for assisting during on-site visits by animal care professionals (e.g. farriers, vets, shearers) and during transportation of animals to veterinary appointments. The Health Care Specialist is also responsible for reporting results to the Health Care Manager.
As a representative of Catskill Animal Sanctuary, the HCS acts in a professional and friendly manner at all times with colleagues, volunteers, and the public. The Health Care Specialist reports directly to the Health Care Manager.
Essential duties include:
- Supervise HC Assistant/s
- Train Animal Care (AC) team to conduct full body health checks and perform health care procedures on all species. These include, but are not limited to weight and skin checks, ear/nose/eye cleaning, foot cleaning and beak/hoof/toenail trims.
- Supervise AC team members while conducting health checks as needed.
- Administer routine vaccinations and species-specific health care maintenance.
- Identify potential health concerns and communicate these assessments to the HCM.
- Create and maintain health records including routine data input on each animal resident.
- Actively participate in the daily well-being of all animals to maintain a high level of wellness.
- Assist in monitoring the emotional well-being of each animal, always seeking to maximize each individual’s happiness.
- Consult with the Health Care Manager about potential adjustments or improvements in animal’s daily life that would increase their sense of well-being.
- Assist in determining optimum diets for all sanctuary animals and solicits the HCM about adjusting diets as necessary.
- Actively keep feed board and other communication strategies current and up to date throughout the day.
- Track and maintain hen implant schedules and follow up with veterinarian when replacement is necessary.
- Update veterinary appointments for all avians including, but not limited to: implant placement, draining procedures, general wellness appointments, emergency treatments as needed.
- Consult with the health care team regarding avian emergencies as needed.
- Perform and evaluate fecal flotations and/or direct smear endoparasitology tests as needed.
- Deworm avian residents as needed and schedule retests and/or second rounds of deworming, as needed.
- Previous farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, sheep, horses, etc.)
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed and open environments throughout the year.
- Veterinary technician or comparable experience highly desired
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners
- Experience dealing with animal emergency situations
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
Please have a thorough understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full -time position with benefits (e.g. medical insurance, personal days, vacation). Starting salary range is between $17 – $18/hour based upon experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
HOW TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
Catskill Animal Sanctuary is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.