We open at 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday through October. Tours are every half-hour with the last tour at 2:30.
Public Transportation from New York City
Take The Bus: From Port Authority take NY Trailways to the Kingston, NY stop, then take a cab to Catskill Animal Sanctuary – it’s a ten-minute cab ride.
Take The Train: From Penn Station take Amtrak to the Rhinecliff, NY station, then take a cab to Catskill Animal Sanctuary – it’s a twenty-minute cab ride.
Call a Cab: Red Hook Taxi 845-758-1478. Call before you board and they’ll have a cab waiting for you at the station.
Driving Directions from New York City
The Sanctuary is about two hours north of the city.
316 Old Stage Road
Saugerties, NY 12477
From the South:
- Take the New York Thruway (87) to Exit 19 (Kingston).
- Go through the toll, then take an immediate right onto 28 West/209/Rhinecliff Bridge.
- Go 1/4 mile and exit onto 209 North (toward Rhinecliff Bridge).
- Take the 9W North Exit toward Saugerties.
- Once off the exit ramp, proceed 1.4 miles to Old Stage Road. Turn right. (There are signs along Old Stage Road.)
- At the fork, bear left.
- Go 1.3 miles to 316 Old Stage Road, sign and mailbox are on left, driveway is on right. The Sanctuary is not visible from the road. Continue following the driveway to the bottom of the hill.
Dining and Lodging
Stay on Sanctuary grounds! The Homestead is a beautifully renovated 1813’s guest house open for visitors.
Ulster County Tourism also has an extensive list of places to stay — everything from campsites to Bed and Breakfasts to hotels.