Share Your Home and Heart with a Farmed Animal.
Even if you’re experienced in caring for farmed animals, we encourage everyone interested in adopting to read our Adoption FAQs and Fact Sheets before filling out an application, as our specific requirements may differ from other organizations or your local zoning board.
Additionally, we require that you live within two hours of Catskill Animal Sanctuary, so that we may visit you for an initial assessment, as well as post-adoption followups.
- Complete the adoption application for the animal(s) in which you’re interested. If you would like to adopt more than one species, fill out the corresponding form for each.
- Our Adoption Coordinator will review your form, call you to discuss which of our animals might be a good fit for your family, check your references, and schedule an appointment for you to have an extended visit with the barn staff and your potential match(es). (Please Note: If you do not qualify under our adoption guidelines, or we do not have any suitable matches for your family, we may be able to refer you to other organizations or to animals on our waiting list.)
- You will meet with our Adoption Coordinator at the Sanctuary for an extended visit with the animal(s) who might be a good match for your family. You will be given an overview of any special care your animals may require; this is a great time for you to ask questions.
- If we are able to find a suitable match for your family, our Adoption Coordinator will schedule a home visit in order to approve your animal housing facilities. (Sometimes a second home visit is required.)
- Once your facilities have been approved, we will contact you to sign the adoption paperwork and arrange transportation of the animal(s).
The adoption process typically takes two to four weeks to complete, depending on the schedules of the Adoption Coordinator, barn staff, and adoptive family. Home and barn visits may take longer to complete if you live at the outer edges of our adoption zone. If a rescue situation has received a lot of press coverage, the process may take longer due to the number of families applying at the same time.
Please be patient as we work to find homes that best meet the needs of our animals.
If you have any questions not answered in our FAQs, please email Kelly Mullins, Animal Care Director, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to speaking with you.